How to find White Lodge Farm Cottages from the south
(with details of supermarkets en route)
You'll probably come along either the A1(M) (which, via the A6141 and
the A505, joins the A11 after crossing over the northernmost part of the
M11) or the M11 itself, which you should leave at junction 9 so as to
continue your journey North on the A11.
The A11 passes to the West of Newmarket as the A14.
- At the Northern end of the Newmarket bypass take the left hand lane to
continue North on the A11 (SP Norwich) (do not stay on the A14).
- In 7 miles you will reach a roundabout (the Fiveways) with three
- Take either:
- The second exit (SP Brandon A1065):
- In 10 miles you will reach Brandon.
- At the traffic lights in the centre of Brandon turn left (SP A1065 Swaffham).
- In 5 miles at the roundabout (in Mundford) go straight on (2nd
exit) (SP A1065 Swaffham).
- In 4 miles the road goes up a long hill and bears right.
Shortly after the bend take the right turn (SP B1108 Watton).
- Proceed through Watton (where a small Tesco can be found by turning right at the traffic
lights), going straight on at the traffic lights (SP B1108
- In 7 miles enter Hingham (shops include a grocers, butcher, baker, newsagent,
post office and dispensing chemist).
- The third exit (SP Norwich A11):
Pass through the village (NB 20MPH speed limit!) and
around the double bends. Just after Wooleys Garage (on the right), fire station
(also on the right) and 30MPH sign, turn left into Ringers Lane (SP Hardingham).
At the T junction turn right and proceed out of the village, passing
the de-restriction signs. Then, in 0.6 miles, after passing around the left hand bend,
the drive to White Lodge will be found on your left at the beginning
of the straight. Ignore the driveway with the white rails before the right
hand bend - this is not the access to the cottages.
- Carry on north and bypass Thetford. You will encounter 4 roundabouts at each of
which you should go straight on (SP Norwich A11).
- In 9.77 miles you will encounter the first roundabout since
the Thetford bypass. Take the 2nd exit (SP A11 Norwich).
- Unless planning to visit Waitrose (if you are see below) in 1.9 miles leave the A11 (SP B1077 Attleborough, Watton)
and turn left at the T junction using the left filter lane (SP B1077 Watton, Great Ellingham).
- In 1.5 miles enter the 30mph zone of Little Ellingham and in 0.3 miles (at the school) turn right (into Hingham Road SP Little Ellingham, Hingham).
- In 3.2 miles at the crossroads on entering Hingham (shops include a grocers, butcher, baker, newsagent,
post office and dispensing chemist) turn right (SP B1108 Barford, Norwich).
Tesco - Brandon
If you choose the route via Brandon you will pass a small Tesco with adjacent
filling station on your right shortly after entering Brandon.
Tesco - Thetford
If you choose the route via Thetford and you take the third exit
at the last of the four roundabouts on the Thetford bypass
instead of going straight on to Norwich, this takes you back towards Thetford and a
large Tesco with a filling station will be found off to the left
about 1 mile down this road from the roundabout.
If your preferred choice is Waitrose take the second Wymondham sign-posted exit off the A11 -
the exit signposted Wymondham and Dereham B1135 (it's 9.3 miles after the previous roundabout). Take the third exit at the roundabout (SP B1135 Dereham).
Shortly after leaving the roundabout a Waitrose with a filling station (including LPG) will be found on the left hand side.
To get to it take the first exit from the roundabout then turn left into the car park.
To get to White Lodge Farm from Waitrose:
Leave the car park and proceed to the
Take the second exit (SP B1135 East Dereham).
In 1.8 miles at the T-junction turn right (SP B1135 East Dereham).
In 3.9 miles at the T-junction turn left (SP B1108 Watton and Hingham).
In 0.4 miles proceed across railway crossing at Kimberley.
In 0.55 miles turn right (SP Hardingham).
In 1.1 miles at T junction turn left (SP Hingham).
In 0.6 miles the drive to White Lodge will be found on your right.
If you reach the right hand bend you've gone too far!